Growing up, I used to watch my mother apply her perfume, but only for special occasions. She would take out one of her fabulous glass bottles and spray a little on her neck and on her wrist before leaving. I would watch in awe as she put the bottle back on her vanity until the next time she’d use it.
Today, perfume application can be a tricky subject since it is applied more often and has become part of the daily wardrobe routine. For me, it has definitely slowly crept its way onto my vanity one bottle at a time and I am pleasantly surprised that I use it for more than just special occasions. I am also surprised at the frequency with which I spritz – so it got me thinking – there has to be a better way…
After some research, I have learned that there are many ways to wear perfume but there actually is a method in regards to where you apply the perfume to make it last all day.
- Base of the throat
- Behind Your Ears + On Earlobes
- Inner wrists
- Behind Knees
- Inner Elbows
Many of the listed areas above are pulse points where the blood vessels are closer to the skin. The vessels emit heat and help to spread the fragrance into the air therefore a small spritz will go farther if they are applied to these areas.
In addition, here are some helpful tips for the care and use of your perfume.
- Always apply before you put on clothing and jewelry.
- If you want to perfume your hair – spray about 8 inches away.
- Do not rub your wrists together, you can “crush” the scent.
- Store your perfume away from sunlight, heat and humidity.
- Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to the areas you plan to spray to help the fragrance last longer.
- If you want to just mist the perfume, spray a few inches into the air away from you and walk into the cloud instead of directly spraying onto your body. (keep your mouth closed for this one!)
In the words of Coco Chanel: “No elegance is possible without perfume. It is the unseen, unforgettable, ultimate accessory.“
I hope that this helps you to be more confident and to assist you in finding some fragrances that you love. Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and to follow me on social media.
Top || Calvin Klein Sweater (similar here, save here, splurge here)
Bottom || Express Pants (Similar here, save here, splurge here)
Shoes || RACHEL Rachel Roy Pumps (old)
Accessories || Michael Kors Watch , H&M Necklace (old)
Thank you Bianca for being my ‘blogtographer.’